Monday, September 22, 2014

This Week In Science...9/22

What are our kiddos learning this week in science? They can....

Kinders= I can hear with my ears. 

1st= I can explain that bats are the only mammals that can fly, sleep upside down, hunt at night, live in groups, and are nocturnal.

2nd=I can build a parachute to test air resistance. I can explain how things move and are effected by air. I can define air resistance. 

3rd= I can show how to measure with metrics by measuring the length and width of a rock and the weight of the rock. I can identify the properties of the rock and explain how properties help identify rocks.

4th= I can explain induced magnetism and temporary magnets. I can show that magnetic force works through materials, but gets weaker the farther they move away from the magnet. (magnetic force decreases with distance)

5th= I can explain a controlled experiment and that only one variable is changed at a time, and that the results are compared to the standard. I can explain the dependent variable of our pendulum experiment. (the length of the pendulum determines the amount of swings in a unit of time)